Claiming a tax deduction for expenses for a home-based business

If you operate some or all of your business from your home, you may be able to claim tax deductions.


If you operate some or all of your business from your home, you may be able to claim tax deductions for home-based business expenses in the following categories:

  • occupancy expenses (such as mortgage interest or rent, council rates, land taxes, house insurance premiums)
  • running expenses (such as electricity, phone, decline in value of plant and equipment, furniture and furnishing repairs, cleaning)
  • the expenses of motor vehicle trips between your home and other locations, if the travel is for business purposes.

There are recent changes to claiming your tax deductions:

  • temporary shortcut method – from 1 March 2020 to 30 June 2022, you may have the option of an all-inclusive 80 cents per work hour temporary shortcut method
  • tax depreciation incentives – you may be eligible for an immediate deduction or an accelerated rate of depreciation under one of the tax depreciation incentives (such as temporary full expensing).

When you sell your home, you may have to pay capital gains tax (CGT). It's important to keep the right records to work out your deductions or CGT.

If you’re entitled to goods and services tax (GST) input tax credits, you must claim your deduction in your income tax return at the GST exclusive amount.

What a home-based business is

A home-based business is one where your home is also your principal place of business. That is, you run your business at or from home, and have a room or space set aside exclusively for business activities.

A home-based business can be run:

  • at home – that is, you do most of the work at your home. An example is a dressmaker who does all their work at home, with clients coming to their home for fittings.
  • from home – that is, your business doesn't own or rent a separate premise. An example is a tiler who does all their work on clients' premises, but does all their record keeping, and stores all their tools and supplies, at home.

If your home is not your principal (or main) place of business but you do some work from home, you may still be able to claim a deduction for some of your expenses relating to the area you use.



Accommodation, cafes

and restaurants

Bed and breakfast operator, caterer, campground owner

Agriculture, forestry and


Shearer, market gardener

Communication services

Mail service provider, web designer, desktop publisher, graphic designer


Bricklayer, plumber, carpenter, tiler, fencer, electrician,

builder, engineer, draftsperson, cabinetmaker, woodworker

Cultural and recreational


Film editor, sound recordist, artist, musician, piano tuner


Tutor, lecturer, music teacher

Finance and insurance

Financial adviser, consultant, accountant, bookkeeper, insurance broker

Health and community


Dietician, chiropractor, counsellor, physiotherapist, psychologist, massage therapist

Personal and other services

Personal trainer, photographer, hairdresser, beautician,

child-minder, dressmaker, event manager, cake decorator, jeweller, pet groomer

Property and business


Plant hire or leasing operator, architect, surveyor, interior decorator,house painter,

cleaner, gardener, service and repair operator, sign-writer, tree lopper

Transport and storage

Courier, freight carrier, removalist

Wholesale and retail trade

Fresh fruit wholesaler, confectionery supplier,

florist, watchmaker, party-plan operator, telemarketer


Want to know more?

Do you have a question about something you’ve read in this article? Need more information? Want to book an appointment? Simply let us know below and we’ll get back to you ASAP.

Share this article


Recent Posts